BC enduro _ greenville to calgary / by Zach Suggs

I took the opportunity late this summer to accompany Cam on a 50+ hour road trip from Greenville, SC to Calgary. He and his brothers would be racing the Revelstoke 3-Day Enduro in British Columbia, and Cam had plans afterwards to continue journeying around the west once the race was over. So while the remaining party members would be flying into Calgary for the last leg on the road, Cam and I began our trip at 2am on August 24th.

Around 7pm later that day we finished the first (and longest) portion of driving, arriving in Lincoln, Nebraska where we were treated to margs, burritos, and warm beds courtesy of my girlfriend's parents. 🍻  Kirk and Cindy!

7am fuel stop before heading out of Lincoln...

Our next major stop was Jackson, Wyoming -- or at least somewhere close, and rather than following the quickest route we decided our legs needed a stretch at the midway point of the drive. I had lived in Fort Collins for a few months after college and knew there was a fun little concrete park in town, so we made that our detour.

Back on the road...

With the sun long set after 6 hours in the truck, we stopped just outside Bondurant, Wyoming to set up camp -- still an hour outside of Jackson.

That night was one of the most restful nights of sleep I had in a long time, which was fortunate because the plan for the weekend was to spend some time in the Jackson Hole area playing in the mountains.

After a solid breakfast in Jackson, we headed to The Hub bike shop to find out some info about the local trails. Lucky for us, there were free shuttles that day sponsored by Teton Freedom Riders to support public lands. (Support public lands!)

Later that day we headed to camp spot #2 near the entrance to Grand Teton National Park. Cam has a pretty insatiable appetite for climbing and naturally one of the highlights of this particular trip was the opportunity to tackle the Grand once again. With the Full Exum route already under his belt, the goal this time was a little variant on that which included the Wall Street traverse over to the rest of Upper Exum. I, on the other hand, would just be happy to get to the Lower Saddle.


Prepping gear at the Shadow Mountain campground before bed:

I have a tendency to let my thoughts get the better of me, and to say I wasn't mentally prepared for the scramble up to even the Lower Saddle would be an understatement. It was a grueling hike that began with an alpine start at 3am.

Cam and I stayed together until we got through the boulder field and into the Meadows. With the sun just beginning to reveal a bit of the canyon, and Cam now out of sight, I somehow managed to get on the wrong trail and found myself at the JH Mountain Guide shelter, Corbet High Camp, at around 11,050 feet.

I ran into one of the guides near the shelter as he was cleaning out a cast iron pan from a recently cooked breakfast, and after a brief exchange he showed me the way back to the main trail, which involved a 300 foot descent on the backside of the ridge I had just hiked up. 

Now back on the main trail, I briefly considered making the final 900 foot ascent to the lower saddle but my little mistake had zapped any mental fortitude I had left.

I was kicking myself for the rest of the day for turning around, but Cam reminded me Grand Teton isn't going anywhere any time soon and next time I'll be more mentally prepared. Beyond that, my Garmin reminded me that 4,692 feet of elevation gain is a respectable accomplishment considering I've never done any sort of mountaineering.

My watch died on the way down.

Middle Teton:

The Meadows and a marmot:

A couple hours later, post Grand Teton summit, Cam met me back at the truck and we decided to drive a couple hours into the Gros Ventre to a ranch owned by one of his family's good friends, Etca.

But first, a pit stop in Lower Slide Lake to soothe the sore muscles:

Now at the ranch, a beer while watching the sun set over Grand Teton:

Smoke from the wildfires was really starting to settle in at this point.

The next morning -- Monday, August 28th -- we substituted one vehicle for another and Cam, Etca, and I took the Polaris out to explore the Gros Ventre Wilderness.

Etca's dogs followed us for as long as they could.

Searching for Native American stone tools:

After getting back to the ranch, it was time to start driving again. And truthfully the next 24 hours were a bit of a blur. I know we made it through Yellowstone that night because even in the darkness, I was completely in awe of the place. The only two things I remember thinking were:

1.) That it felt like we driving on an eggshell, in which the insides of the egg were boiling.

2.) That if this place goes up, we (and probably everyone we know) are going to die.

We camped somewhere between Yellowstone and Missoula (how's that for specificity) for night #3 in the truck, and made it to Missoula on August 29th around 2-3pm. After a beer at The Dram Shop, we ran into some locals sessioning a ledge near where we had parked.


Thankfully Cam knew some people in Missoula, and we had yet another comfortable home to stretch/relax/reorganize/reset. All the best to Rob and Kait! 🍻

We got to bed (reasonably) early knowing we'd have to leave at 2am to make my 11am flight out of Calgary. I drove the first leg out of Missoula and into Glacier, and much like the previous evening's drive, it was a bit of a blur. At this point, I knew my time on this trip was coming to a close and I just wanted to make sure we made it to Calgary on time. 

Still, that didn't prevent me from stopping several times on The Sun Road.

Mount Oberlin in the distance with the wildfire smoke obscuring the view:

I made my flight. 👍

...And as I was finishing this post up today, I talked to one of the other Dodds brothers; there are already plans in the works for a road trip to the Trans-BC Enduro next summer.

Can't. Wait.